Monday, February 1, 2010

Twofer Tuesday

A short distance from my house is "North America's Oldest Family Run Store". Frisbee's Supermarket is a stereotypical country store. Old fashioned meat market, a table with a checkerboard, etc. On display, you will see albums from Hall and Oates and
Gene McDaniels. If you are not familiar with Gene McDaniels, check out this YouTube recording of one of his performances from the early 1960s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K317zw5VYQ0

Why does a country store in small town Maine display these two very different albums? Because Mr. McDaniels is a resident of our little town and Mr. Hall, while not a resident, owns a home within walking distance of the store.

I met Gene at work several years ago. Even though I am ancient in my son's eyes, I am not old enough to remember his music. One day, I was on the Internet and pulled up a list of people born on a particular day. I noticed his name on the list and wondered if it was the Gene McDaniels that I knew. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility to me because Gene has the most amazing speaking voice. It is like velvet. I could listen to him talk for hours. A few clicks of the computer keys later, I discovered the truth. My client (and neighbor) was a former singer. He wrote the #1 hit for Roberta Flack "Feel like makin' love". In addition, he is a very nice man who loves his mother a great deal. Gotta love that.

I have not had the pleasure of meeting Daryl Hall but he bought a antique waterfront home a short distance from me. It was being auctioned off, he saw it in the paper and bought it. He apparently likes to restore old buildings and didn't want to see this torn down. Since that time, he has also purchased the small building close by that is rented by the post office. He outbid a local gentleman who would have turned it into condos. Once again, Daryl had preservation on his mind. He hires locals to do work for him so he is quite popular.

That is my two famous neighbors.

Here's to music and the internet.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool that you have 2 nice musical neighbors! Harry Connick Jr has a summer house her in town. He likes to be like one of the locals, but I can't help practically faint whenever I see him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome. Being a former avid Stephen King fan I always wonder what it'd be like to run into him in town somewhere.

    I live so close to Dallas that "celebs" like that are guarded and reclusive....

    ReplyDelete