Monday, July 27, 2009

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

I had an epiphany today. I have a hard time making decisions. Now, you may ask, why did it take me so long to come to this self-realization? Well, perhaps I am not as in touch with myself as I should be. Also, it isn't all decisions that I have a hard time with. It is only the relatively small decisions that I beat myself up over so it isn't really ALL that obvious. That is what I am hoping, anyway.

Yup, you got it. The big life-changing decisions - I make those with nary a hesitation. I investigate, learn everything I can, follow my gut and charge forward. I don't second guess my decisions either. When I got married 25 years ago, I didn't think twice. When we decided to start our family, I knew it was time. When we built our house, I knew exactly what I wanted.

Other decisions like which political candidate to support or how to vote on a bond issue, I also find easy to make. I know where I stand and tend to take sides early.

It is the small decisions that make me agonize. What color to paint our downstairs bathroom took multiple trips to a paint store to collect paint chips. I thought I had a vision but wasn't sure if it was right. I FINALLY picked out a paint and my hubby painted. Now, I am still not sure it was the right choice. Seriously. I am still checking out colors when I visit other people's homes or offices. I decide what vacation I want to book (IE a cruise) but worry that I might be making the wrong choices when it comes to the final details. My husband will ask me what I want to do on Saturday and my usual answer is "I don't know." This is a typical conversation between me and my (very patient) hubby. Me "I think we should paint the upstairs bathroom yellow." Him "Sounds good to me." Me "I was thinking a pale but somewhat bright yellow." Him "Fine." "Do you think a more golden yellow would be better?" Him. "Whatever you think is fine with me." Me: "I don't know. Maybe a blue would go with the tiles better." Him (obviously having tuned me out by now) "Hmmmm." Me: "But I don't want it to be like a baby's room so maybe the yellow would contrast nicely with the tiles." Him:"Hmmmm. Yeah." Me - "Or maybe another color." and so on and so forth.



If you asked me what you should do with your life or, even what color you should paint your bathroom, I could give you an answer in a short amount of time. I have no idea why I can't make these minor decisions for myself. I am going to try to be better. Stay tuned for the decision on what color to paint the upstairs bathroom. I hope to have an answer before 2010... but I won't promise. Don't want to make the wrong choice, you know?



Here's to decisions.

17 comments:

  1. PURPLE!!

    definitely purple. and nice dark grape/royal purple. with silver trim.

    :-)

    there, what's your next question??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really funny. Wish I could analyze it for you, but I'm coming up empty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly, you need a schedule. Paint it yellow in August, peach in September, gold in October, a faux leather in November, add gold and silver trim in December, white in January, add pink stripes in February, wallpaper in March, and since taking down wallpaper is a REAL hassle, you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Decisions are easy....it's the damn second guessing we do after that sucks donkey balls!!

    Hallie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh girl... I'm totally the WORST in decision making... I'm a flip-flopper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't make any decision. None. It's gift from my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for visitng my blog. Isn't this rain frustrating and aggravating? I keep worrying that it will be like this every summer, now. Instead of global warming, here in Maine we will have Maine Monsoons. Today the sun is out here in Millinocket. I have never enjoyed the sun as much as I have this year. Hopefully it is sunny in your part of the state, too! Enjoy, hugs, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought your upstairs bathroom used to be black and white? Did I dream that?

    Anyway, whatever agonizing you do over little decisions, you usually make the right ones. Your house rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our upstairs bathroom used to be wallpapered. The background was white and it had tiny little flowers on it. It was a really nice wallpaper.The counter is black/white with white cabinet so I can undertand why you are thinking black and white. However, several years ago, we removed the paper and painted it a teal color. It needs to be repainted and I have decided that the teal needs to go. I am pretty sure it is going to be a pale yellow. Anyway, it is pretty obvious that you need to spend more time at my house, MAry Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOU.ARE.NO.ALONE.IN.PICKING.PAINTS!! People that decorate all the time struggle with this. Many people will buy multiple quarts of different colors and then paint huge blobs on the wall and then still can't make up their minds! Not weird.
    check this forum out:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/search/nph-ind.cgi?term=paint&forum=decor&forum_name=Home+Decorating

    ReplyDelete
  11. "NOT" alone.....spelling error above !

    ReplyDelete
  12. For some reason, my bathroom and my kitchen were easy choices to make in the color department. I have painted my frontroom twice. TWICE! First, it was a nice green color and after living with that for a few months I didn't like it. I painted it blue. I only got a few walls into it and hated it. It reamins gren on one side and blue on the other. My bedroom is the other one I didn't finish. It has this beautiful apricoty-peachy color on most of it. I was afraid that I wouldn't like it, so I never finished.
    I KNOW your pain!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i know exactly what color I want every wall in my house but I am too lazy to paint so aftewr 5 years they are all still beige.how sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe because painting is tedious. And who wants to fork over money to pay for paint, tape up the room, and start painting only to realize it's not right?? And then start all over again?? Not me. No thank you...marriage? yes please. paint?? ehhhhh....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this amazes me. Fretting over paint, yet knowing without a doubt about marriage, children and mortgages?

    Paint can be changed easily - the others, not so much. Buy your top two colors. Put one on the wall. Stare at it for about a week. If you like it, then finish painting. If not, try the second color.

    The perfect wall would be the one opposite the mirror. Then you'd be looking at it without really LOOKING at it, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Per Mama Kat, I'll be using this post as inspiration to mine! Thanks so much and good luck with the paint!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG I'm the same way, and when I did finally decide to sponge paint my bathroom like this pale purpley color it came out pink looking and I HATED it...I think I painted it white and then we sold the house! LOL

    Good luck with the paint choice!

    ReplyDelete