Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Old Friends...

As a busy wife, mother, volunteer, etc., I am usually running here and there in the evenings because I am taking my son to some function or I have a meeting for one of my volunteer groups (which support my son's various activities). I do have two evening events, however, that are JUST FOR ME! Bi-monthly, I meet two of my college friends for dinner and every six weeks or so, another friend and I head out to dinner and a show at a local theater. Somehow, the stars have aligned and I have both "me" events this week.

Last night, after working all day, I hopped in my car and pointed it north towards Portland ME to meet my two college buddies. We have always stayed in touch since we graduated but, over the past few years, we have really made the effort to meet for dinner on a regular basis. I say that we are meeting for dinner but the food is just a small part of it. We laugh, share memories, share frustrations about husbands and children and laugh even more. The years melt away and it seems like our days at the University of Maine have returned. One of my college friends is ME from http://www.adoptingme.blogspot.com/ blog. Mary Ellen is funny on her blog. I have to tell you, she is even funnier in person and tells a story like a pro. Judy was Mary Ellen's roommate in college and we got to be friends because of that. Judy is the perfect complement to Mary Ellen's humor. She urges her on.

Not only is meeting "the girls" a great deal of fun, it is also a moment of sanity in this insane world we live in. I can ask about raising a teenage boy and get sage advice that actually makes sense. We can - and do - talk about any and everything. No awkward pauses in conversation for us!

So, thanks to "my girls" and our therapy session last night, I am facing another day with less stress and a smile on my face. Here's to two wonderful friends . Can't wait until next time!

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm your first follower.

    I'm a good friend of Mary Ellen's (despite her protestations and denials) and I figured if you were a longtime friend, from back in the day, then I could get some great scandalous stuff about her.

    Anyway...welcome to the blogosphere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful friendship! Welcome to blogging. I also have a 14 year old. You described the age perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Blog World, Evansmom!
    YAY! Another prospective of life with a teen. I had girls, they are now in their terrible twenties, but I love reading about what to me is the good old days of teen hood!
    I'll be snickering along or crying along with you whichever the case may be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you dare tell Andrew a thing!

    Seriously, though, it's a privilege having you in my life. All that other stuff comes and goes, but girlfriends like you? Are forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could never spill your secrets - you have too much on me (and the photos to prove it!). :)

    ReplyDelete