Monday, December 28, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

We only have a few days left in 2009. Where did the past year go? Where did the past decade go for that matter? It seems like just a few weeks ago that we were worrying about what would happen to the world when we changed from 1999 to 2000. Now we have to worry about what will happen on 12-21-2012. I imagine I will worry about that date about as much as I worried about Y2K. Not at all.

Do you make resolutions every year? Do you keep them? I always have made them but the past few years, I have actually made fewer but been much more successful in keeping them. I have started to go a bit more specific. Instead of saying "lose weight", I now have "walk at least 3 times per week". I do find that to be much easier to keep as I have very specific parameters.

My resolutions for 2010 are:

1) To use my crockpot at least one time per week. I am actually in the process of making a meal for supper tonight and am looking at vegetarian crockpot cookbooks so my son can get in on the slow cooker fun.

2) To walk at least 3 times per week. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I made that one last year. I did a great job with it for about 6 months but I have fallen off track lately. Back to it.

3) To take my lunch to work at least 3 times per week. This will help me save money and calories. A double win!

4) To accept myself and others as they are.

5) To agonize less over decisions. I usually have an easy time on the big decisions but the small ones tie me up in knots. Seriously. I put 2 items in an "Amazon shopping cart" yesterday morning and have logged on three or four times since then. I have not, however, pushed the "order now" button. We have been discussing repainting our upstairs bathroom for months. We finally bought a paint tester on Saturday and PURCHASED a gallon of paint this morning. There is hope.

What are your resolutions for 2010? What past resolutions have you managed to keep? Inquiring minds want to know.

Here's to a happy and healthy 2010!

6 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you and your family!
    I hope it is a wonderful year for you.
    Congratulations on making more "do-able" resolutions...it makes for a more successful feeling, doesn't it?
    I don't usually make resolutions, because of just that...I do not succeed at them. Perhaps because mine are generally very lofty. I'm too optimistic at times...(giggles at self)
    This year I am making "not a resolutions". We have just undergone a major restructuring of the family unit and in doing so freed ourselves of some leaks in the monetary system. The remaining parts of the unit are willing and able to pay bills and participate in positive activities such as cleaning, cooking, laughing, having fun...My "not a resolution" is to pay all bills on time every time and to cook all meals at home except for special occasion meals. I've been pretty good about taking my luch to work every day, but I cheat and buy frozen meals sometimes. Breakfast is always a Starbucks thing (so healthy...NOT!) And I am going to put a small amount of money every paycheck, for rainy days.
    Sorry I took up so much comment space, but I am excited about this next year, I want to share!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was...put a small amount of money ASIDE from every paycheck...duh, I should read my comments before hitting the send button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make resolutions because I know I am to weak to stick to them. Hmmmm, maybe that should be my resolution....have more willpower and not give up so easily. I wonder if I would stick to it? I applaud your ability to make and KEEP those resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about the MEET HALLIE resolution? Giving up already?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallie - that isn't a resolution to me - it is a FACT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. same goals for 10 as I had for 08 and 09. Finish all these dang things on my todo list and lose the rest of that 50lbs. (currently with 36.8lbs to go)

    it's taking awhile bit I know I'm getting there and that's the important thing.

    ReplyDelete