Tuesday, January 11, 2011

5 down..... 48 to go

I have 't cooked a great deal in the last week or so. We ended up with a ton of leftovers from my last cooking binge so we finished those off instead. I did end the week with a yummy crockpot lasagna.

Yesterday, I had to make a quick trip home at lunchtime because I had forgotten to take my cell phone off the charger and I was making a trip to Portland last night. I drove for years without a cell phone (yes, I am that old) but nowadays the thought of driving 45 minutes each way without one is scary. Strange but true. Anyway, while I was home, I decided to throw something in the mini-crockpot for Boy-o to have when he got out of work last night. I put together frozen homemade ravioli with sauce, spices and (fake) cheese and set it up to be ready when he got out of home. Imagine my surprise when I made a call home at 4:45 and he informed me that he was eating his meal. I guess the raviolis were no longer frozen but I wonder how cooked they were. Yikes. The stomach of a teenage boy. He said it was good. I can't imagine and wonder if he was only trying to be nice. I told him to leave the leftovers in the crockpot until he got home from work. He packed the leftovers in a lunch for school. I can't wait to hear if that is better!

When I returned from my dinner out with my college friends, I was full of energy so I made Boy-o a black bean and corn enchilada pie to cook in the crockpot today. I have never tried it in the crockpot but I figured it was worth a try. I also modified a recipe to make one of my favorite cookies dairy free. I am counting the modification as a new recipe. It is so easy that I feel like I am cheating but hey, sometimes easy is the way to go. (PS I had a great visit with Mary Ellen last night and she is doing wonderfully!)

When I was in college with Mary Ellen and Judy, one of Mary Ellen and my favorite recipes was something called Peanut Scotch Crisps. We weren't the only ones enamored with this. Anoter student actually wrote in and asked for the recipe and they published it in the alumni magazine. It is the easiest thing to make!

Peanut Scotch Crisps
1 cup peanut butter
1 package butterscotch chips
6 cups rice krispie cereal

Combine peanut butter and chips in a large bowl. Melt in microwave in 30 second increments (it takes about 2 minutes in mine). When melted, stir together and add rice krispies a few cups at a time. Stir to coat and put in large pan (I use my lasagna pan). Put into refrigerator until solid. Cut into bars and enjoy. So easy but people love them.

Since I haven't been able to find non-dairy butterscotch chips, I modified the recipe and made:
Boy-o's Dairyfree Peanut Choco Crisps. I used semi sweet dairy free chocolate chips instead. It was a complete taste change but very good and he loved them. A smile on his face puts a smile on mine.

Have a great day everyone!


1 comment: