Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Number 13 aka "The best thing you have ever cooked for me"

This past week, I have spent a lot of time playing with the new rice maker. Iwaswrongandhewasright. Seriously, I thought that getting a rice maker was a questionable (stupid) idea. Who knew it could make so many delectable rice concoctions? I counted the curry rice as a new recipe but I ended up changing it and other flavor combinations. Boy-o loved: rice, peppers, onions, cajun spices, hot pepper sauce, black beans and corn whereas hubby and I took a fondness to: rice, onions, cumin seeds, chili powder, beans and (drained) diced tomatoes. Since these are not really recipes, I am not counting them towards my 53 new recipe goal.

I did buy a new allergy free cookbook and had Boy-o pick out the recipes he would be interested in trying. One of his choices was a breakfast pizza with a hash brown crust. Saturday for brunch, I made him a dairy free version and and one with real cheese for my husband and me. It was good but I wasn't totally happy with the results. Sunday, after my stick fighting class, I decided to stop at the local supermarket and buy a small premade pizza shell. I wanted to try the breakfast pizza again and see if I could get closer to what a local store makes. I put the shell in a fry pan and loaded on toppings (I used left over TVP, corn, peppers, onions, hot peppers). I then carefully pours Egg Beaters over the top. I covered and cooked the pizza until the egg was done and then added on cheese and cooked another minute until melted. I did not use pizza sauce because the local store doesn't on their breakfast pizza. Boy-o loved it! He did say "it is the best thing you have ever cooked for me". It was also very filling and he had leftovers which I popped in the microwave for breakfast the next day. That is a definite make again. I may try to make my own pizza shells next time.

We have been hit with storm after storm since Christmas. One week, I had two snow days from work. The weather report today used two words that I hate hearing in the same sentence - monster and storm. Yup. The forecast is for between 20 and 30 inches of snow. Where are we going to put it? Luckily, I made a quick trip to the grocery store yesterday to pick up rice. I can't wait to come up with a new flavor combination!

Enjoy and stay out of the bad weather!

3 comments:

  1. You are such a creative cook that I'm envious!

    I stopped by the store yesterday, too. Mile-long lines :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIKES!!!!! I know you're used to snow up there...but GOOD GRIEF!!

    ReplyDelete